Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Beginnings

In a world where being comforted and comfortable seems to reign supreme, I find it ironic that when asked, most people would like to succeed as well.  This seems a bit inconsistent.  Unless history is wrong, there has never been a victory without a battle, nor has there ever been success without a struggle.  We cannot prioritize comfort and success at the same time.  If we are going to achieve, we need to put out some effort.  Putting out some effort means comfort cannot be our priority.
I am especially focused on the church, particularly evangelical Christianity.  If we are going to make a positive influence in this world (an influence that is desperately needed), we are going to have to make a tough choice.  Are we going to prioritize being comfortable with the familiar and methods of the past (which are presently less effective than we want to admit), or are we going to make the effort to become true servants of Christ?  The Bible makes it clear that if we are really serious about obedience we should expect to struggle.  That means comfort cannot be our priority for to avoid the struggle because of desire for comfort is to assure there will never be victory..

It is the struggles I have encountered along the way to which this blog is devoted.  They have been surprising, painful and essential. It may be that no one reads what I record, but it will at least be a catharsis for me.  As this record progresses, I will laugh at myself and encourage you to laugh with me, as well as with the humorous and ridiculous I have seen along the way. I will also share my grief with those who care to follow this journey.  It is my hope that you also are in this Struggle to Victory.  Hopefully, I can be of some encouragement.  For I am convinced by the Scripture that in spite of the struggles now, victory is in the future of every true believer.

Paul put it this way in 1 Corinthians 2:9 "But as it is written: 'What no eye has seen and no ear has heard, and what has never come into a man's heart, is what Go has prepared for those who love Him.'"  This verse tells me that for all the struggles here, there is a coming victory.  Struggling to Victory, then, is an appropriate title for this discussion.  I hope to see you along the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment